The American Way = Beer + BBQ + Sunshine
That coming from someone that has only lived in The States, but still… does it get any better? Sitting on the patio, grilling some grub, enjoying a cold one. I don’t think so.
In honor of the season that brings us the highest likelihood of said equation, Widmer Brothers has been sending around their summer lineup consisting of the following:
- Shaddock IPA (6.2% ABV)
- Marionberry Hibiscus Gose (5.5 ABV)
- Citra Blonde Summer (4.3% ABV)
- Widmer Hefeweizen (4.9 ABV)
I sat down with each for a bit of a talk and this is where we ended up:
- Shaddock IPA – A solid, light IPA with a great hoppy nose and mildly bitter body (50 IBU). This is a classic IPA that I would buy again.
- Marionberry Hibiscus Gose – If you are in the mood for something a bit fruity, the Gose has the goods. It is a very mild berry brew with the hints of dark berries throughout the taste. Want a beer that looks more like a wine cooler but isn’t one? Here you go, sir, here you go.
- Citra Blonde Summer – The mildest of the bunch. This one won’t get you anywhere the buzz train but it will quench your thirst. Also the smoothest of the bunch. Hop heads probably won’t like to go here…
- Widmer Hefeweizen – A classic of the genre. Widmer Hefe has been around for as long as I can remember and it turns out a consistently solid experience. I quite enjoy a citrus wedge with this beer, pick the citrus to match your fance.
All in all, you can’t go wrong as long as you match your tastes with this bunch. For me, the IPA takes the cake. Others might want to go a little mild.
Bonus: These would all make excellent cooking beers… add that little something special to your summer meals and your equation looks more like this:
The American Way = Beer2 + BBQ + Sunshine